Growing up I was blessed with a community that helped raise
me. I believe the saying “it takes a village to raise a child” is true in my
life. My mother as many of you know was a 1st grade teacher for 17
years and then taught reading for 8 years at Elsanor School. Many of you
reading this may even have had her as a teacher or a coworker. I have grown up
at Elsanor, and it is my home away from home. I spent many of my summer
vacations at Elsanor helping my mom set up her classroom and getting things
ready for the students. Many of my friends thought I got the bad end of the
stick having to spend my summer at the school, but I would not change it for
the world. I was able to spend time with my mom as well as learn from the other
teachers there. During my first year of college I would come home and surprise
my mom at work. Upon entering the school I would have to stop by many classrooms
to say hello to some teachers or else I would get facebook messages asking me
to explain why I was at school and why I did not stop by and say hello. I
really have six moms at that school. People, whom, have supported and still
support my dreams and have encouraged me along the way.
I remember one day when I was visiting my mom from college. Mr. Chris, one of the best men I know, stopped me in the hallway took my hand and told me “Katie never forget to let your light shine for God, I know people are going to put you down but keep seeking him.” Just one example of numerous encouraging words I have received from the people at the school. When I was in second grade I remember my dad leaving to work in Alaska for six months. At the time it was really hard for me. I did not understand why I was not seeing my dad everyday, it did not help that some of my classmates were telling me that my parents were divorced (which they were not). One day when I was writing sentences for my vocab words I wrote the sentence ‘I think my dad is dead’. Since my mom works at the school I attended, my teacher just walked over to my mom’s room and showed her what I had written. Many teachers were so nice and supportive of me during that time. One of the teachers would come by our house and give me a ride on his motorcycle, which you guessed it, gave me my desire to want a motorcycle.
Many of the faculty has been blessings to my life. They have
given me jobs such as babysitting, house sitting (which I wish I could do for a
living) and much more. I love when I get to go out to eat with my mom and her
Elsanor school friends or go to the movies with them when they are dressed in
really embarrassing Twilight outfits. But those are some of my favorite
memories.
My mom is an incredible lady, growing up having to work two
jobs to support her family and still go to school. She shows that anyone can rise
above their circumstances. My mom has always taught me to do the best I can and
that I do not find my self worth in a grade. I’m going to take this time to
brag on her a bit. She has welcomed my friends into our house many times when I
am not even there. I can remember numerous times when I would walk into the
house and my friend are sitting talking to my mom. Or now that I am away at
school some of my friends still just stop by and visit my mom so when I call
them to catch up they know everything that is happening because they have been
over at my house talking to my mom. I love that. I love that my family has
built a house that people feel comfortable to just come over. Most of my
friends do not call they just come over. And NONE of them knock they just walk
in. When people knock I’m surprised because they really expect me to greet them
at the door. That’s weird.
This is true with many of my friends. I remember going over
to McCall Tedder’s house, no one knocks, people just come over. One day when we
were at her house someone rang the door bell and no one knew what to do, we
just stood there and looked at each other. Another funny story is when I was
having dinner at her house and I asked her mom to pass the BB&Q sauce and
her mom quickly replied get your own BB&Q sauce. In that moment I knew I
was family I was no longer a guest. As long as I do not park on the no parking
zone I am always welcome there.
This blog entry was meant to thank my community at home and the people that helped raise me. There are many people and communities that I left out so if I did not mention you in this I am sorry. I just wanted to thank my home and my home away from home Elsanor School. A place where I have built lasting friendships and a place where I have seen the love of a community raise a child. Even though I believe I am an adult I know no matter how old I get those people well always be parents to me. Thank you for all you have down.
No comments:
Post a Comment