Saturday, March 16, 2013

It's a soccer game


The past few days I have been playing soccer with the women team at UCU, Uganda Christian University. It has been the most incredible time. I have absolutely loved it. I have always played soccer as a (competition) so just going out and playing a sport I love has been great. One day I was living the Dining Hall to walk to my room. The soccer coach saw me and came up to me. He said,” This is my first time seeing you on campus will you be at practice today.” I stated, “Yes sir, if it is okay with you.” In Uganda people here say, ‘feel free’ meaning do whatever you want. The coach told me to feel free. Then we parted ways.

That afternoon after completing my studies, I departed down to the soccer field. I warmed up then went out and scrimmage with them. I just love it I feel so free and it brings such joy to me to play a sport that I love. After the scrimmage was over I walked over to get some water. The coach said Katie on the line. I was confused at first about what was going on then I soon realize that I would be joining the team in running sprints. Joy, the whole time I was thinking about running sprint back at Judson with Becca Ream what a great memory. After we had finished running the coach talked about the game they will be playing on Friday. Which brings me to the point of this blog. Deciding weather or not to play in the game.

Through playing soccer I have found more Ugandan friends. They are some of the most encouraging people as well. They came up to me after practice telling me that I play smart and that they did not think that I could play. Everyone that I talked to wanted me to play in the game Friday and told me that I am apart of the team and that I need to play. Which WOW how incredible, this white girl from America was welcome onto the Uganda soccer team. It’s incredible humbling and incredible freeing. I did not know if I would ever touch a soccer ball again sense I decided not to play college soccer anymore. However being able to come to Uganda and play has given me my freedom back for the sport I love. With that I am incredible thankful for the Ugandan soccer team and the coach for letting me experience that joy that I have missed. I have found that words can not conceive that gratitude that I feel toward the Uganda soccer team and coach and it is best for me just to live out my gratefulness. 

I was able to play in a Uganda soccer game. They provided my soccer cleats and a uniform. It was like I was playing with a middle school team but it was the most fun I have ever had. How I have missed being free and playing a game I love. I'll be posting a blog about the Nile River soon.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you, Katie Coop! You have grown into such a wise, young lady. You are a wonderful woman that I am glad to have had the chance to play soccer with back in high school!

    Keep lighting up the world!

    1 Timothy 4:12

    -Kimiko

    ReplyDelete