After the depressing last post, I believe that now is a
perfect time to add some of the funny things that have happened sense being
here. Some of these where not funny when they happened but looking back at the
event they now seem funny. Before you read these I wanted you to know that I am
okay and that yes some of these events where extremely scary, but I am OKAY.
Lets start with my home stay. I will be writing a post later
on about my home stay experience, but this story goes in the funny category so
I figured I would share. Okay so I love hugs, I’m a hugger. In Uganda people
are way more touching then I am use too. For example my host sister loves to
touch me. One day she just grabbed my butt for what felt like 15 min. One of
the most awkward moments of my life, I would dare to say even more awkward then
my doctor giving me a kiss on my forehead. So here we are standing outside and
she just holding me butt. I assumed that this moment could not get any worse.
Then she proceeded to left up my shirt. Welcome to Uganda ladies and gentlemen.
The home stay only gets better. We do not have running water
so I have to bath out of a bucket. Which really is not that big of the deal
after the hour walk home after school the cold water is nice relief from the
heat. However, at my home we have pigs that just wander where ever they want.
So I can honestly say that you are not living until you have bathed with pigs
they came right in to where I was bathing. I now know somewhat how the son in
the story of the prodigal son felt after working with pigs. I guess it is safe
to say that I can no longer become a Jew if I wanted to. I have attached a
picture of my bathing situation so you would be able to see what it was like. There is no roof to the bathing area which is kinda cool because the stars are really pretty!
![]() |
| My bath bucket and my shower |
Next story, we have a man in town called the mzungu man. He
is obsessed with us and we try to avoid him at all cost. When we see him coming
we switch side of the streets. So one day my and Jordyn were walking to school
and out of nowhere here he comes. BAM! He then repeatedly starts patting my
shoulder and talking my book bag. We pick up spend to get away form him. I
later ask why he does this and my host family say it is because of drug. The
drug that he has taken has made him crazy and now he likes mzungus. The moral
of this story is don’t do drugs.
So this is the last story and I think is the best. My practicum director dropped me off after I
had finished working. I thought I knew how to get home. WRONG. They dropped me
off at 6:33 and by 7:00 I was trying to call my host family to tell them to
come get me that I was lost. Every time I called they would say okay I’ll see
you at 8:00. I would repeat that I was lost and this conversation would
continue over and over. At 7:30 I had to call a friend to walk to my house to
tell them in person that I was lost. 20 min later they final sent someone to
come get me. By this time it is 7:50. And it is DARK. I can barely see across
the path I was standing at. I had all these males come by asking if I needed
help and boda boda drivers wanting my to get on their bikes. But here’s the
best part before I got rescued around 7:30ish I’m scared I’m crying, I’m
thinking I’m about to get kidnapped and no one is going to know what has
happened to me. I was really freaking out being lost for over an hour in a
foreign country by myself is not the most comforting feeling. So then this
woman comes up to me and says, “I’m a prophet of God, and I want to save your
soul.” Seriously, I’m crying right now, I’m beyond scared and this woman comes
up to and is trying to save my soul. I don’t want to be saved I want to be at
my host home. I was not in the mood to deal with this I quickly told her that I
am saved and she moved on. Looking back at this I figured she thought I was
doing something illegal. Because all I was doing was standing on a corner for a
1 hour and so minutes. My host brother final came and got me and I was home at
8. Note to self, carry a flashlight wherever I go, and to be aware of people
trying to save me soul. I hope that this made many of you laugh. I find it great ti be able to look back and see the humor in all this. The fact that I was so close to my host house but yet I could not make it home is funny. The fact that I got to bathed with pig that never going to happen again it's funny. I hope this made you smile. Many blessings and peace to you and your family. Thank you all who have been reading my blog and post encouraging things to my facebook and e-mail I really appreciate them more then you know! Keep them coming. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment